Rainbow trout is a fast cooking fresh white fish. This is a cold water fish which does not need a lot of fancy ingredients to make it delicious. It’s meat is mild and delicate and once cooked is tender and flaky. This recipe uses fresh organic tomatoes and fresh basil as well as olive oil and salt and pepper. Making the fish in foil packets allows the ingredients to steam together and makes for a fun and easy dinner party or grilling option.
- Baking Pan, Foil , cutting board, chef knife
- 2 lb fresh rainbow trout filets Each serving is 8 oz serving of fish
- 4 tinfoil sheets size to fold around fish filet
- 2 med tomatoes chopped
- 24 leaves basil sliced (chiffonade)
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper freshly ground
- 2 Tbsp olive oil extra virgin
- Preheat oven to 450F ( yrs it is high!)
- Cut the fish into 4 x 8 ounce filets. Wash the filets and pat them dry on paper towel. Place each filet, skin down onto a foil sheet
- Divide the chopped tomato on top of the fish.
- Sprinkle the basil on top of each fish filet with the tomatoes.
- Add 1/2 Tbsp olive oil to each filet packet.
- Fold the foil over the fish to make 4 packets.
- Place the packets into the oven at 500F for 10-15 minutes- until fish is opaque and cooked through.