The humble carrot is a root vegetable known to contain a lot of vitamin A and beta carotene, important for vision and skin health. Not only full of vitamins and minerals, but carrots also contain many cancer-fighting antioxidants (1) and are heart-healthy (2).
The recipe here is very easy to make and definitely packs in the nutrition. It is a vegan recipe containing no animal products. What packs this soup with flavor is the dill. Dill is an herb from the celery family and though not proven to have medicinal powers adds a punch of fresh flavor to this cozy, warm winter soup.
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 large onion diced
- 2.5 lbs carrots washed and diced
- 8 cup vegetable broth
- 1/4 cup fresh dill
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper
- 6 sprigs dill set aside for garnish
- Heat olive oil in a soup kettle
- Add onion and cook over low heat until translucent, 10 minutes
- Add carrots, stock, 1/4C dill, salt, pepper and cayenne
- Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low simmer and cover
- Simmer about 40 minutes until carrots are tender
- Cool soup before pureeing
- Puree the soup in batches in a blender or food processor
- Return soup to kettle and serve warm
- Garnish the soup bowls with dill
- Optional- Serve soup with crusty French bread
- Collins, K., Cancer: Reducing Risk with Caretenoids, Today’s Dietitian (2019) , Vol 21: 1, p.12. https://www.todaysdietitian.com/newarchives/0119p12.shtml.
- Vitamin A May Have Impact on Heart Health, American Physiological Society, https://www.todaysdietitian.com/news/053116_news.shtml.