ABOUT KALE: Kale is a superfood- there is no doubt. Mainly because it contains a power house of nutrients such as high levels of vitamin C and A. The phytonutrients in kale are sulforaphane and quercitin-inflammationa and cancer fighting chemicals. The Environmental Working group suggests buying organic kale as regular kale is likely to have residual pesticides on it, if not organic.
ABOUT LENTILS: Trader Joe’ Lentils are already pre-cooked and super easy to use. http://http://www.traderjoes.com/fearless-flyer/article/1533s . These pulses are high in fiber, folate and protein and contain an assortment of B vitamins and 330% of the recommended amount of a micronutrient called molybdenum.
Lentils- high in fiber and protein, Low in fat.
COMBINING Lentils and Kale is easy with what’s called a MIRAPOIX. This is a mixture of onion, carrots and celery.http://http://www.traderjoes.com/fearless-flyer/article/1029
Now I invite you to make this recipe called
Emma’s Kale & Lentil Winter recipe. It’s just a representation of how 3 easy ingredients can be combined to make a quick super supper or on the go lunch. Taking this recipe and adding a vegetable broth can suddenly turn it into a savory soup or adding potatoes, rice or pasta can make a healthy dinner that’s done in minutes.
2 Tbsp olive oil
2 cloves garlic- minced
1 container of Trader Joes Mirapoix *
1 Bay Leaf
1 tsp dried Thyme
¼ tsp ground cumin
1 Bag shredded organic kale (10 ounces)
2.5 C cooked lentils (Trader Joes steamed)
black pepper to taste
kosher salt to taste
*NOTE: TRADER JOES MIRAPOIX is made up of
½ yellow onion -chopped
3 peeled carrots- chopped
3 celery stalks- chopped
- Saute the garlic in 2 Tbsp of Olive Oil for 1 minute in a pan on med-low heat,
- Add herbs & spices and the Mirapoix (chopped onion, celery and carrots) and saute for 2-3 minutes,until onions are translucent.
- Steam kale in 1/4C water until limp and bright green (only takes a couple of minutes). I used the whole bag as I love kale 5 ounces is also fine.
- Add kale and lentils to Mirapoix mixture and heat through.
VERSATILE Kale-Lentil ADDITIONS and IDEAS
- Serve the kale and lentils with rice or potatoes.
- Serve kale and lentils with your favorite pasta (macaroni or ziti)
- Serve kale and lentils with white Cannellini beans
- Add 4 Cups of vegetable broth to 2 Cups of kale and lentils for a super warm and savory winter soup.
Add ½ C up fresh mozzarella and chopped tomato (2 tomatoes – de seeded and cubed to the kale and lentils for a super side salad or lunch.
- Add spicy chicken or turkey sausage to the kale-lentil mixture for a hearty winter dish.
- Drizzle sherry vinegar onto a the kale-lentil salad just before serving to elevate flavor.