I often see clients who are struggling to gain weight due to gut distress. Let’s face it- when your in the midst of bloat and diarrhea or nausea and tummy troubles- often the last thing you want to do is eat. If this is you, have no fear. We can gain weight and build up strength and muscle in a healthy way together! Here are three manageable strategies to think about when adding fuel back into your day.
It sounds pretty sneaky, but is very doable. Just adding 100 calories here and there can add up through the day. These are Tablespoons of nutrition and can be sprinkled, mixed and stirred into smoothies, smeared on toast, and snuck into veggies and main meat dishes. Here are just a few of my favorite add ons for an extra 100 calories.
- Nut butters 100 kcals/TBSP
- Avocados 100 kcals/1/3 avocado
- Hard Cheeses 100 kcals/ounce
- Nuts 100 cals/ 1/2 oz
- Oils- olive or safflower 100 kcals/TBSP
- Sour Cream 100 kcals 2 TBSP
- Whole Yogurt 100 kcals/1/2C
Strategy number two looks at a food item which can be a bank for the calorie bank at 400 calories a serving. When you look at it- That is pretty much a light lunch. But to be able to get small volume and more fuel, here are some ideas.
- Large blueberry muffin
- Bagel, lox & cream cheese
- Grilled cheese/Quesadilla
- Hummus or bean dip and pita
- Avocado toast
- Rice and beans
- Oatmeal with seeds and nuts and cream
- Nut butter sandwich with banana slices
- Nut or granola mix
- Soups with added cream or olive oil.
- Smoothies with a plant based milk, frozen fruit, protein powder and or nut butters
- Nutritional supplements: Boost, Ensure, or Muscle Milk